If you wear glasses, you are probably already aware that they are your most important accessory. Choose the wrong frames and you can look unattractive and even sinister, but the right glasses focus favorable attention on your eyes. Some people like to have several pairs of glasses so they can achieve casual, business , and evening looks. Other women find that one well-chosen pair is versatile enough for all situations .
Selecting glasses can be quite challenging . Ophthalmologists are not always well-informed in matters of style and trends , and consequently are not particularly helpful when it comes to suggesting frame colors, styles or looks that can enhance the shape of your face . Fortunately, you can easily learn the basics about picking glasses as an accessory that enhance rather than detract .
Fashions come and go , so if you are opting for one pair of glasses , choose a good neutral color that will compliment you and the style of clothes you wear . Mid-tone neutrals, such as navy, gray, tortoiseshell and olive are best for everyday professional frames . If your budget allows for a second pair, choose something more fun for casual wear , which expresses both your seasonal colors and your stylish personality. A touch of crystal will create just enough sparkle for evening events .
In selecting glasses , pick frames that complement or contrast with your face shape – but do not repeat it. For example, round glasses on a round face would be terrible. Square glasses on a square, full face would be far worse, making the face seem wider and the jaw line severe .
Choose frames that are in proportion to your face. If you are petite , you need more delicate styles; if you select large frames you could look dwarfed. The large faced woman needs frames that are more substantial; delicate ones would look too lightweight. Balance is key .
Frames should be:
- no wider than the face
- in line with your eyebrows at the top of the frames
- no lower than the highest point of your nostril contour
Makeup Tips For Far-Sighted Women
If you have poor vision, this should not keep you from wearing eye make-up .
If you are far-sighted, your glasses will tend to magnify the eyes. This means that you will need to take particular care in applying eye make-up so that it doesn’t look overly exaggerated :
- Use neutral, natural tones. Bright, colorful makeup shades will look brash and detract from the color of your eyes.
- Use minimal eyeliner on the outer third of your top and lower lid only. Avoid black altogether.
- Apply two thin coats of mascara rather than one thick coat, which could look clumpy.
Makeup Tips For Shortsighted Women
Shortsighted women often have to wear lenses that make their eyes appear smaller. If this is your problem, you can minimize the effect easily :
- Avoid very pale or pearl eye shadow colors .
- Use deep, saturated colors to enhance the intensity of the eyes.
- Use a kohl pencil to line the eyes, to create depth and definition .
- Do not line the eyes completely as it makes them appear smaller, exacerbating your problem.
- Line only the outer half of the upper lids, and the outer third of the lower lid, to deepen and widen the eyes.
- Strengthen the definition of your eyebrows. If they are naturally light, fill them in with a soft neutral shadow – barely darker than your own brow color.
- Finish by brushing brows into place with clear mascara.
Eyeglasses Shape Suggestions
- Rectangular or round eyeglass frames are better for narrow faces; the aviator style is also beneficial.
- Choose eyeglasses with soft edges, not angular ones, for square or rectangular faces.
- Square faces should avoid large frames – they look best if glasses sit no lower than the top of the cheek.
- Rectangular or square styles of eyeglasses give definition to round faces.
- If you have wide-set eyes, choose darker, stronger bridges of eyeglasses which have the effect of bringing the eyes closer together .
- If you have a long nose, choose a dark and low bridge for your glasses.
- Short noses benefit from clear or high bridges which make the most of a petite nose.
- If your eyes are close-set , choose clear or narrow bridges which lighten the area and won’t make the eyes appear even closer together .